This AIP Zuppa Toscana requires just 6 ingredients and cooks up quick in the Instant Pot for a weeknight AIP or Paleo friendly meal that will blow your socks off.
4 slices of AIP-compliant bacon, chopped
1 lb ground pork (or chicken, or turkey) (pasture-raised, if possible)
3 medium white sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite-sized pieces
4 cups broth or water (I used water)
1 bunch curly kale, destemmed and finely chopped
1 cup full-fat coconut milk (optional)
- Prep your ingredients. Chop the sweet potato and kale, and slice the bacon. Pre-measure the seasonings into a small bowl.
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté mode and add a small drizzle of avocado oil to the insert. Once your Instant Pot is warmed up, add chopped bacon and ground pork and sauté, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through. Add all the herbs and seasonings and stir to incorporate. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add cubed sweet potato and broth or water. Give it one more stir and then seal and set on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally for about 15 minutes before manually releasing it (be sure not to burn yourself. Use a wooden spoon or a towel to turn to “venting”).
- Add kale and coconut milk (if using). Stir and then cover for about 10 minutes, or until the kale is wilted. Serve warm.
If you can’t find white sweet potatoes, you can sub an equal amount of regular orange sweet potatoes, parsnips or rutabagas, but the flavor will be different. If you tolerate potatoes, you could also swap in regular ol’ potatoes. Yukon Gold are my favorite.
You can also make this on the stovetop, if you don’t have an Instant Pot. Just use a large soup pot or dutch oven and follow step 1. For step 2, instead of setting to high pressure, just set to a medium simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through. Then proceed to step 3.
You can also make this in the slow cooker. Just brown your bacon and pork in a pan on the stovetop, and then proceed to step 2. Set your slow cooker to low for 4-5 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through, and then proceed to step 3.
Nutrition information uses water and coconut milk for the liquids in this recipe. All nutrition information is an estimate, only, using an online nutrition calculator.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 433
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 28g
Keywords: zuppa toscana, aip, sausage, kale, soup, dairy free